[Insight-users] Gradient descent Question PLEASE I NEED HELP

Yixun Liu yxliuwm at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 12:11:40 EDT 2013

Maybe you mean you do not know the gradient value added to the theta_t in
your last equation. The gradient part includes three terms: sum, partial
derivative with respect to T and the matrix. The sum can be calculated
because you know the theta_t. The derivative can be calculated by 1) finite
differencing or 2) interpolating a continuous Image I_m and derive its
analytical derivative. Both methods rely on the interpolator you use.

The first term relies on the metric. As I know SSD which you use, CC and MI
have analytical derivative. But there are lots of metrics without
analytical derivative. ITK uses finite differencing to calculate
derivative, so it can deal with any metrics although might lose some
performance for the SSD, CC and MI.