[Insight-users] DICOMWriter for wide dynamic intensity range

Li, Wen WLi at childrensnational.org
Mon Aug 19 23:24:24 EDT 2013

Hi Insight users,

I am talking about PET images. The data I am dealing with has a wide dynamic intensity range.
Now I am trying to write it as a DICOM image.

As we all know, DICOM only stores 16bit integer as pixel value. I tried to manipulate DICOM tag 0028|1052 and 0028|1053 for the RescaleIntercept and RescaleSlope. Failed. They were always reset to be 0 and 1.

Is there any suggestion about how to store the original intensity values instead of having them chopped off to be 16bit integer. In my case, I probably need float non-1 RescaleSlope.

BTW, I define my writer as
typedef itk::ImageSeriesWriter< OutputImageType, OutputImageType2D > SeriesWriterType;
OutputImageType::PixelType is float and OutputImageType2D::PixelType is signed short.

Thanks,
Wen