[Insight-users] Level sets Chan-Vese

Uday Kurkure ukurkure at uh.edu
Fri Feb 15 19:20:37 EST 2013

Hi Brad,

I tried to experiment with the different implementations.  I
experimented with a synthetic image and a real image (which
unfortunately I cannot share).

In attachments you can see:

- a.png : synthetic image (100x100)
- abw.png : initial mask

I experimented with 3D synthetic also which was constructed by
concatenating the 2D image (100x100x100). Here are the results:

- outDense2Da.png :
output of dense levelsetsv4.
Perfect segmentation on 2D and 3D synthetic image.
[On my real image the mask didn't grow at all to connect two regions
but it did remove the background from the mask.]

- outWhit2Da.png :
output of Whitaker sparse levelsetsv4.
Erroneous segmentation in 2D and 3D. There are many extra pixels
included in the segmented mask especially near the corners.
[It works as expected for my real image in 2D. But in 3D real image it
gets stuck for hours at converting the initial mask to sparse format.]

- outDenseReview2Da.png : output of dense levelsets in review folder.
The segmented mask didn't include the boundary pixels (something to do
with thresholding of level set function?).
[On real image the mask didn't grow at all to connect the two regions
but it did remove the background from the mask.]

- outWhitReview2Da.png : output of Whitaker sparse levelsets in review folder.
Perfect segmentation in 2D and 3D.
[On real image the initial mask doesn't change much. Didn't even
remove the background.]

I am still trying to figure out the issue with the real image vs
synthetic image.

I hope someone can explain the different behavior of these
implementations on the synthetic image.

Overall, for synthetic image 2D/3D, the dense levelsetsv4 and sparse
Whitaker in review perform accurately.
On 2D real image, sparse Whitaker levelsetsv4 performed best but in 3D
it gets stuck at converting the initial mask to sparse level set
format.

Any help/suggestions/comments are appreciated.

Regards,

- Uday