[Insight-users] Mattes Mutual Information

brian avants stnava at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 11:19:32 EST 2013

there is a brief summary of the v4 framework here:

https://github.com/stnava/ITKv4Documentation/blob/wbir2012/ITKv4RefactoringNotes.pdf

the most salient points:

* all metrics are multi-threaded

* all metrics may be computed from sparse or dense samples

* all metrics may be used with low or high-dimensional (e.g.
diffeomorphic, syn) transformations + generic pixel types

* optimization / transformation framework reworked to be memory
efficient i.e. avoid copying (potentially large) parameter vectors

* new metrics for vector pixels (e.g. RGB) use same base classes

* optimizers employ gradient step sizes with physical units, line
search and have the ability to automate parameter scaling

* composite transforms are now trivial.

* "fixed" images can have transforms too (useful in unbiased
registration strategies)

* point set metrics can be combined with image metrics via
itkObjectToObjectMultiMetricv4

* some global optimization tricks are available in the
MultiStartOptimizer ... very useful.

there is also a GPU registration framework though that is a separate beast.

brian