[Insight-users] ITK 4.3.1 Python error trying to use Python

Ariel Hernán Curiale curiale at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 05:29:09 EST 2013

Hi all,

I built ITK-4.3.1 to use Python successfully and configure this variables:
PYTHONPATH=$PYTHONPATH:<path to itk build>/lib/
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH =$DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH:<path to itk build>

All looks fine an when use ipython I can see all the clases, but I cant import itk how the example in the wiki (the error said No module named itk) and when I import for example FileReader doing: import itkImageFileReaderPython as reader; I get the following error:
ImportError                               Traceback (most recent call last)
<ipython-input-1-76aad2624ebf> in <module>()
----> 1 import itkImageFileReaderPython as reader;

/Users/ariel/Applications/InsightToolkit-4.3.1-build/lib/itkImageFileReaderPython.py in <module>()
     28                 fp.close()
     29             return _mod
---> 30     _itkImageFileReaderPython = swig_import_helper()
     31     del swig_import_helper
     32 else:

/Users/ariel/Applications/InsightToolkit-4.3.1-build/lib/itkImageFileReaderPython.py in swig_import_helper()
     20             fp, pathname, description = imp.find_module('_itkImageFileReaderPython', [dirname(__file__)])
     21         except ImportError:
---> 22             import _itkImageFileReaderPython
     23             return _itkImageFileReaderPython
     24         if fp is not None:

ImportError: No module named _itkImageFileReaderPython

And effectively the _itkImageFileReaderPython class or file  doesn't exist inside the lib directory. I have some _ITK libraries but no one _itk. Am I doing something wrong ? Did I configure itk wrong ?

I could import all these clases:
ITKAnisotropicSmoothingPython          ITKIOJPEGPython                        ITKMathematicalMorphologyPython
ITKAntiAliasPython                     ITKIOLSMPython                         ITKMeshPython
ITKBinaryMathematicalMorphologyPython  ITKIOMetaPython                        ITKNarrowBandBasePython
ITKClassifiersPython                   ITKIONIFTIPython                       ITKNarrowBandPython
ITKColormapPython                      ITKIONRRDPython                        ITKOptimizersBasePython
ITKCommonBasePython                    ITKIOPNGPython                         ITKOptimizersPython
ITKCommonPython                        ITKIORAWPython                         ITKOptimizersv4Python
ITKConnectedComponentsPython           ITKIOSiemensPython                     ITKPDEDeformableRegistrationPython
ITKConvolutionPython                   ITKIOSpatialObjectsPython              ITKPathPython
ITKCostFunctionsPython                 ITKIOStimulatePython                   ITKPyBasePython
ITKCurvatureFlowPython                 ITKIOTIFFPython                        ITKPyUtilsPython
ITKDeconvolutionPython                 ITKIOVTKPython                         ITKQuadEdgeMeshBasePython
ITKDisplacementFieldPython             ITKImageComparePython                  ITKQuadEdgeMeshFilteringPython
ITKDistanceMapPython                   ITKImageComposePython                  ITKQuadEdgeMeshPython
ITKEigenPython                         ITKImageFeaturePython                  ITKRegionGrowingPython
ITKFFTPython                           ITKImageFilterBasePython               ITKRegistrationCommonPython
ITKFastMarchingBasePython              ITKImageFunctionPython                 ITKReviewPython
ITKFastMarchingPython                  ITKImageFusionPython                   ITKSmoothingPython
ITKFiniteDifferencePython              ITKImageGradientPython                 ITKSpatialObjectsPython
ITKIOBMPPython                         ITKImageGridPython                     ITKStatisticsPython
ITKIOBioRadPython                      ITKImageIntensityPython                ITKTestKernelPython
ITKIOGDCMPython                        ITKImageLabelPython                    ITKThresholdingPython
ITKIOGEPython                          ITKImageSourcesPython                  ITKTransformPython
ITKIOGIPLPython                        ITKImageStatisticsPython               ITKVTKPython
ITKIOHDF5Python                        ITKLabelMapBasePython                  ITKVoronoiPython
ITKIOIPLPython                         ITKLabelMapPython                      ITKVtkGluePython
ITKIOImageBaseBasePython               ITKLabelVotingPython                   ITKWatershedsPython
ITKIOImageBasePython                   ITKLevelSetsPython

And this classes have a _ITK library inside the lib directory.

Thanks a lot,