[Insight-users] Surface smoothing of labels

Thomas Seidel seidel at cvrti.utah.edu
Fri Jan 18 22:51:28 EST 2013

Hi,

I have segmented cells in tissue sections using a morphological watershed.
So the output is a label image.
The segmentation result is not bad. However, the surfaces of the cells seem
to have disturbances and some tiny artifacts (probably due to the distance
map which I used as gradient image).

So I am looking for a method to smooth the surfaces of the cells without
loosing to much detail. I found the  itkAntiAliasBinaryImageFilter, but it
requires a binary image as input. I cannot reduce the label image to a
binary image because sometimes the cells have no background between them,
which means that I cannot separate them again.

Is there any surface smoothing filter which operates on a label image?
How can I transform a label image into an input image for a level set
filter?

Thanks,
Thomas