[Insight-users] Surface smoothing of labels

Richard Beare richard.beare at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 05:34:13 EST 2013

You need to think quite carefully about what you want to achieve with
the smoothing. Any linear-ish smoother applied to objects individually
is likely to lead to them overlapping. This may be OK if you are only
after visualization and/or are happy representing each image in a
separate image.

If you want to do something that keeps the properties of a label image
then a morphological opening is a simple choice that won't introduce
overlap. You can pull out label objects perform an opening on each
one, put them back together. There are ways of operating directly on
the label set quite efficiently -
"Parallel Algorithms via Scaled Paraboloid Structuring Functions for
Spatially-Variant and Label-Set Dilations and Erosions", Beare and
Jackway, DICTA 2011. The code is ITK-based, but I haven't got around
to packaging it for release, let me know if it sounds interesting
enough to make the effort.

Your other option is to smooth first - don't be tempted by using a
chamfer (approximate) distance transform - use an exact one and smooth
it. Also, as distance transforms are typically used to split cells, it
suggests that you have some segmentation process prior to this. If
this is the case you may benefit from smoothing the raw image further
prior to segmentation.