[Insight-users] ITK image to Numpy matrix and viceversa

Bradley Lowekamp blowekamp at mail.nih.gov
Wed Jan 30 09:21:42 EST 2013

Paolo,

You are correct with the command line:

git://github.com/tobiasmaier/itkPyBuffer.git Modules/External/itkPyBuffer

When you place an ITK module into the ITK External or Remote subdirectory, it become just like the build-in ITK modules. It gets built along side of the rest of ITK, and also will get wrapped for this case.

After running the above command, I re-ran ccmake and it informed me that PYTHON_NUMARRAY_INCLUDE_DIR, needed to be defined.

The variable that needs to be set is Module_ITKBufferConvertion. This should be enabled. I thought this use to come up in the CMake GUI, but it did not for me. I had to go into the CMakeCache.txt file and manually change the variable to ON to enable it.

Hope that helps,
Brad

On Jan 30, 2013, at 8:57 AM, Paolo Zaffino <p.zaffino at yahoo.it> wrote:

> Dear Brad,
> thanks for your answer but I'm not yet able to get working that module.
> First I think that the command is git clone git://github.com/tobiasmaier/itkPyBuffer.git Modules/External/itkPyBuffer, right?
> Anyway I didn't understand how compile it, if I have to compile it before ITK or if it will be compiled during the itk building.
> The problem is that I don't see the option to enable itkPyBuffer in the cmake step for ITK.
>
> Yes, I know of simpleITK, but in this case I need of ITK...anyway thanks for the advice.
>
> Thanks a lot.
> Paolo
>

> Il 29/01/2013 15:20, Bradley Lowekamp ha scritto:
>> Hello Paolo,
>>
>> I have used the the following external module for get numpy support for WrapITK:
>>
>> https://github.com/tobiasmaier/itkPyBuffer
>>

>> From the root ITK source dir just clone the repo into the Modules/External directory:
>>
>> git clone git://github.com/tobiasmaier/itkPyBuffer.git Modules/External/
>>
>> Rerun ccmake, and turn on this module. And recompile.
>>

>> While you are waiting you can check to see if SimpleITK has the functionality you need.
>> I'd like to point out that SimpleITK has built in support for numpy, and has binary eggs available for download.
>> http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK/Release_4/SimpleITK
>>
>> Brad
>>
>> On Jan 29, 2013, at 8:46 AM, Paolo Zaffino <p.zaffino at yahoo.it> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear ITK community,
>>>
>>> I compiled ITK 4.3.1 with the Python support and all went fine.
>>> I am able to run ITK functions from Python, but I'm also interested in converting an ITK image into a Numpy matrix and viceversa.
>>> How can I do this?
>>>
>>> Thank you very much.
>>> Regards.
>>> Paolo