[Insight-users] Histogram calculation performance between ScalarImageToHistogramGenerator, ImageToHistogramFilter and vtkImageAccumulate

Arikan Mustafa Mustafa.Arikan at fh-wels.at
Wed May 15 08:50:41 EDT 2013

Hi to everyone,

could someone recommend me a class for fast calculation of the histogram from a 3d data set?

Right know we use vtkImageAccumulate. But it takes up a lot of time. The data sets are several gigabytes big.

I tried ScalarImageToHistogramGenerator and ImageToHistogramFilter (with HistogramType::SizeType size(1); ).
ScalarImageToHistogramGenerator is slower than ImageToHistogramFilter. And both are slower than vtkImageAccumulate.

The results are below (in ms):

VoxelCount: 1052494100, DataType: unsigned short, Min value 0, Max value 65535, Bins 1024

Time for calculating histogram (VTK) 17498
Time for calculating histogram (ITK) 62093
Time for calculating histogram (ITK scalar) 111687

Thanks in Advance,

Mustafa Arikan
FH OÖ Forschungs- & Entwicklungs GmbH
Stelzhamerstraße 23
4600 Wels / Austria
Tel: +43 (0)50804-44407
E-Mail: Mustafa.Arikan at fh-wels.at
Web: www.3dct.at
[cid:image001.png at 01CE5179.F222E970]
[cid:image002.jpg at 01CE5179.F222E970]<http://www.fh-ooe.at/>
Firmenbuchgericht/Court of registry: Landesgericht Wels
Firmenbuchnummer/Company registration: FN 236733 m