[Insight-users] Reading multi-frame 2D+time DICOM files

marianabb marianabb at gmail.com
Thu May 30 06:24:56 EDT 2013

Hello all!

I need to handle multi-frame DICOM files that contain 2D+time information.
I'm working with ITK 4.3 and my system installed GDCM 2.2.

I've been able to use the example DicomSeriesReadSeriesWrite.cxx to read and
write 3D+time files, the only modification I made was changing the number of
dimensions of the output file to 3 instead of 2. These 3D+time files are not
"really" 4D since all the slices are together in one 3D file.

The problem comes when I try to read te 2D+time files. The 2D images are
saved as a stack, just like a 3D file. But if I try to read this file as a
3D image by using ImageFileReader or ImageSeriesReader instantiated over a
3D Image I get the following error:

The result of 'gdcminfo' on one of these files is:

Should I try to change the spacing value on the Z axis? I'm not sure if
tampering with the file before reading it would be a good idea.

Any comments or ideas?