[Insight-users] Insight-users Digest, Vol 113, Issue 28

Shubao Liu shubao.liu at gmail.com
Wed Oct 2 10:12:16 EDT 2013

[image: Gravatar] <http://gravatar.com/>
Re: cmake script profiler

On 4/24/2013 5:37 AM, Gregoire Aujay wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Are you using cmake with a Makefiles generator on Windows ?
>
>  From my experiments here are my observations:
>
> -Makefiles on Windows: slow
>
> -Visual ide generator : fast
>
> -Makefiles on linux: fast
>
> I found that when there are many targets in a project, cmake has to
> write many small files on the HD which seems to be very slow on windows.
>
> Regards,
>
> Gregoire

So, I just did some timing on ParaView which is a big project (includes
VTK).   This is all on windows.  It seems that ninja is the slow one.
The makefile and VS 10 generator were about the same.  This is a second
configure, so it does not include the initial try-compile stuff which
can be slow on windows.

vs 10   real    2m41.935s

ninja    real    3m33.807s

unix makefiles  real    2m43.696s