[Insight-users] DICOM Pixel Type

Ricardo A Corredor ra.corredor at gmail.com
Wed Feb 5 04:34:36 EST 2014

Hi everyone,

I still have a question that I know you can answer very precisely and
quickly.

In the DICOM read examples  it is assumed a pixel data type of signed short.
Even the itkUserGuide says that "we assume a signed short pixel type that is
commonly used for X-Rays CT Scanners". However, in the DICOM standard
description it seems to appear a flag for unsigned and signed data, and even
if the pixel type is not implicit, it seems that it is possible to have
DICOM images in different types (the MeVisLab documentation says that DICOM
supports only integer types, is it correct?
http://www.mevislab.de/docs/2.2.1/MeVisLab/Resources/Documentation/Publish/SDK/GettingStarted/ch11s07.html).

So my question is:

 - How can you determine the pixel data before the instantiation of the
DICOMReader according to the DICOM Metadata Tags? Normally, you define
statically the pixel type -in the template- before reading the tags. Is it
mandatory to define a sort of parameter to define manually the type of image
to be read (signed, unsigned, short, int, char?

Thank you in advance for your replies!

Ricardo A. Corredor
Medical Image Processing and SW Engineering
@rcorredorj
RaC