[ITK-users] ITK Python Wrapping vs. SimpleITK

Heim, Eric e.heim at dkfz-heidelberg.de
Tue Jul 1 11:35:45 EDT 2014

Dear all,

I'm currently embedding python into a C/C++ application and want to access ITK through python.
The ITK python wrapping requires CableSwig to work, but I can't compile it under newer Visual Studio versions.
After looking at the git repository I noticed that the last commit in CableSwig was done ~2 years ago.
Some open source projects, like 3DSlicer, are now using SimpleITK in their python wrapping.

What are the future development plans of ITK python wrapping, CableSwig and SimpleITK?
Would it be more future-proof to embed SimpleITK into an application than ITK?  Are there maybe plans
to fully integrate SimpleITK into ITK, so there is no need for additional toolkit dependencies except ITK?

Cheers,
Eric