[ITK-users] deformation, displacement and velocity field transforms

Anja Ende anja.ende at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 10 06:43:42 EDT 2014

Hello,

I am slightly confused by some terminology in ITK and I was wondering if
someone would be kind enough to help me out on this.

As far as I understand, a deformation field is the vector field which
describes the new <position> of a given point.

A displacement field, on the other hand, the distance and the direction
that the point has moved.

ITK has this ConstantVelocityFieldTransform object. My question is what
does the velocity field in ITK encode? If I integrate the velocity field
over unit time would I get a deformation or a displacement field?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

--
Cheers,

Anja