[ITK-users] [ITK] deformation, displacement and velocity field transforms

Nicolas Gallego nicgallego at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 10:07:28 EDT 2014

Hi Anja,

Yes, as far as I understand the concept, the velocity field lives in the
tangent space of the manifold, while the displacement field is the actual
manifold, arbitrarily curved. In practice the transformation between the
velocity field (tanget space) and the displacement field (curved manifold)
is done via the exponential chart, and the inverse via the logaritmic.

The exponential is a k times recursive composition of the field with itself
starting from a scaled version of it by 2^(-K), such that the initial field
is small enough [1]. That is the equivalent of integrating over the unit
interval.

[1]
http://www.itk.org/Doxygen45/html/classitk_1_1ExponentialDisplacementFieldImageFilter.html

hope that helps

Nicolás Gallego-Ortiz
Université catholique de Louvain, Belgium