[ITK-users] Connected Threshold Filter crashes but only for large images

Michael Pinkert mpinkert at wisc.edu
Tue Jul 15 12:27:37 EDT 2014

Hi everyone,

I am working with sets of 3D MRI data from multiple years for my research.
I am using the connected threshold filter in a pipeline after a binary
thresholding procedure using Otsu segmentation.

The algorithm functions when there are 124 slices in the image, but crashes
with an abort message when there are 248 slices and when there are 156
slices.

I have tested this with multiple data sets and the pattern holds.  The
strange part is that this still happens even if I resample the number of
slices down to 124, so I really am confused as to what is happening.

Is there any reason why the filter would be crashing for images that are too
large like this, even after being resampled smaller?

Best regards,
Michael Pinkert