[ITK-users] White Background on rotated image

Matias Montroull matimontg at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 10:56:53 EST 2014

I figured how to rotate a DICOM Series in a directory, here's my code,
however, I get white images as a result, I'm not sure what I'm missing?

#include "itkImage.h"
#include "itkResampleImageFilter.h"
#include "itkAffineTransform.h"
#include "itkGDCMImageIO.h"

//Para las series
#include "itkGDCMSeriesFileNames.h"
#include "itkImageSeriesReader.h"
#include "itkImageSeriesWriter.h"
#include "itkGDCMSeriesFileNames.h"
#include "itkNumericSeriesFileNames.h"

int main( int argc, char * argv[] )
{
if( argc < 4 )
{
std::cerr << "Usage: " << std::endl;
std::cerr << argv[0] << " Directorio_Entrada Directorio_Salida
Grados_Rotacion" << std::endl;
return EXIT_FAILURE;
}

const unsigned int InputDimension = 3;
const unsigned int OutputDimension = 2;
typedef signed short PixelType;
typedef itk::Image< PixelType, InputDimension >    InputImageType;
typedef itk::Image< PixelType, OutputDimension >    OutputImageType;
typedef itk::ImageSeriesReader< InputImageType >    ReaderType;
typedef itk::GDCMImageIO    ImageIOType;
typedef itk::GDCMSeriesFileNames    InputNamesGeneratorType;
typedef itk::NumericSeriesFileNames    OutputNamesGeneratorType;
typedef itk::ImageSeriesWriter< InputImageType, OutputImageType >
 SeriesWriterType;
typedef itk::ResampleImageFilter< InputImageType, InputImageType >
ResampleFilterType;
typedef itk::LinearInterpolateImageFunction<InputImageType, double >
InterpolatorType;

ImageIOType::Pointer gdcmIO = ImageIOType::New();
InputNamesGeneratorType::Pointer inputNames =
InputNamesGeneratorType::New();
inputNames->SetInputDirectory( argv[1] );
const ReaderType::FileNamesContainer & filenames =
inputNames->GetInputFileNames();

reader->SetImageIO( gdcmIO );
reader->SetFileNames( filenames );
try
{
reader->Update();
}
catch (itk::ExceptionObject &excp)
{
std::cerr << "Exception thrown while reading the series" << std::endl;
std::cerr << excp << std::endl;
return EXIT_FAILURE;
}

const double angleInDegrees = atof( argv[3] );

typedef itk::AffineTransform< double, InputDimension > TransformType;
//usado para mapear el espacio de entrada con el espacio de salida
TransformType::Pointer transform = TransformType::New();
InterpolatorType::Pointer interpolator = InterpolatorType::New();

const InputImageType::PointType & origin = reader->GetOutput()->GetOrigin();
const InputImageType::SpacingType& inputSpacing =
reader->GetOutput()->GetSpacing();
const InputImageType::RegionType& inputRegion =
reader->GetOutput()->GetLargestPossibleRegion();
const InputImageType::SizeType& inputSize =
inputRegion.GetSize();

std::cout << "The input series in directory " << argv[1]
<< " has " << filenames.size() << " files with spacing "
<< inputSpacing
<< std::endl;

transform->SetIdentity();

ResampleFilterType::Pointer filter = ResampleFilterType::New();
filter->SetInput( reader->GetOutput() );
filter->SetInterpolator( interpolator );
filter->SetOutputOrigin( reader->GetOutput()->GetOrigin() );
filter->SetOutputSpacing( inputSpacing );
filter->SetOutputDirection( reader->GetOutput()->GetDirection() );
filter->SetSize( inputSize );
filter->SetDefaultPixelValue(100); //Pixel por defecto de lo que queda
fuera de la imagen cuando se rota
//filter->Update();

TransformType::OutputVectorType translation1;
const double imageCenterX = origin[0] + inputSpacing[0] * inputSize[0] /
2.0;
const double imageCenterY = origin[1] + inputSpacing[1] * inputSize[1] /
2.0;
translation1[0] = -imageCenterX;
translation1[1] = -imageCenterY;
transform->Translate( translation1 );
// Software Guide : EndCodeSnippet
std::cout << "imageCenterX = " << imageCenterX << std::endl;
std::cout << "imageCenterY = " << imageCenterY << std::endl;

const double degreesToRadians = std::atan(1.0) / 45.0;
const double angle = angleInDegrees * degreesToRadians;
transform->Rotate2D( -angle, false );

TransformType::OutputVectorType translation2;
translation2[0] = imageCenterX;
translation2[1] = imageCenterY;
transform->Translate( translation2, false );
filter->SetTransform( transform );
filter->Update();

// Generate the file names
itksys::SystemTools::MakeDirectory( argv[2] );
OutputNamesGeneratorType::Pointer outputNames =
OutputNamesGeneratorType::New();
std::string seriesFormat(argv[2]);
seriesFormat = seriesFormat + "/" + "IM%d.dcm";
outputNames->SetSeriesFormat (seriesFormat.c_str());
outputNames->SetStartIndex (1);
outputNames->SetEndIndex (230); //Rectificar

SeriesWriterType::Pointer seriesWriter = SeriesWriterType::New();
seriesWriter->SetInput( filter->GetOutput() );
seriesWriter->SetImageIO( gdcmIO );
seriesWriter->SetFileNames( outputNames->GetFileNames() );
//seriesWriter->SetMetaDataDictionaryArray( &outputArray );
try
{
seriesWriter->Update();
}
catch( itk::ExceptionObject & excp )
{
std::cerr << "Exception thrown while writing the series " << std::endl;
std::cerr << excp << std::endl;
return EXIT_FAILURE;
}
}