[ITK-users] deformable surface registration

somi seesomi at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 21:19:21 EDT 2015

Hi,
For my project I ended up using a diffusion based algorithm somewhat
similar to described in
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.87.6924&rep=rep1&type=pdf

Here is a summary of the algorithm ( section 4 in paper above ) :

*A time and space discretized solution the the geometry-constrained
diffusion may be obtained by iterative Gaussian convolution and
back-projecting the constrained surfaces. The crux of the algorithm then
becomes : *
*1. Initial displacement. Construct an initial guess of the displacement
field. *
*2. Diffusion step. Convolve the displacement field with a Gaussian
kernel. *
*3. Deform source. Deform the source surface with respect to the
displacement field. *
*4. Matching (Projection onto the target surface). For all points on the
deformed surface: Find the closest point on the target surface. *
*5. Update displacement field. For all points on the deformed surface:
Change the displacements according to the match. *
*6. Convergence. Is the displacement field stable? If not, go to 2. Some of
the steps are explained in greater detail below*

I also used the features ( curvature in step 4) to determine the closeness.
The algorithm took a surface model and a point set as input. The vertices
of the surface model were deformed to match the point set without modifying
the connectivity.

Thanks,
Somi

Confessions, Obsessions , Beliefs , Wishes , and a few Esoteric Blogs
http://500px.com/seesomi