[ITK-users] Mattes Mutual Information can produce a false positive?

David Welch david.m.welch at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 12:55:39 EST 2015

Hi Gabriel,

I’m a little rusty, so maybe someone else can correct my example.

1) Consider a circle with one half “dark: and one half “bright" with a gray background.
2) Then consider the inverted image (max() - image).
3) Rotate the inverted image randomly about the center.
4) Now register the two using Mattes’.

Do you see the problem? Statistically, both pairings of bright->bright and bright->dark have the same entropy to Mattes’, so neither would be preferred and the algorithm would settle on which ever solution it reaches first and would give a false positive 50% of the time.

So Mattes’ CAN produce false positives depending on the underlying statistics for the image pairs.

Cheers,
Dave