[ITK-users] [Paraview] compile itk (VTKGlue ON) with vtk from paraview

Matt McCormick matt.mccormick at kitware.com
Sat Jan 31 11:25:10 EST 2015

On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 7:02 AM, Dr. Roman Grothausmann
<grothausmann.roman at mh-hannover.de> wrote:
> Hi Matt,
>
> On 26/01/15 17:54, Matt McCormick wrote:
>> I do not think the Midas Journal will be able to build your plugin.
>
> OK, so I added a VTK test program. Is there a way to test if the automatic
> testing environment would be able to build and run my VTK test program
> BEFORE submitting the contribution to Midas?
> (My last submission never got tested by the system so far, i.e. there is no
> colde review reported:
> http://www.vtkjournal.org/browse/publication/949)

Unfortunately, the submission build system is currently opaque and
limited.  We have many thoughts on how to improve the journal
infrastructure but lack the funding to implement it :-(.

>> I would recommend creating build instructions to build against a
>> ParaView build tree.  I have just verified that ITK builds with the
>> ITKVtkGlue module ON when pointing VTK_DIR to the <ParaView-build>/VTK
>> directory.
>
> Did You use BUILD_SHARED_LIBS ON for both ITK and ParaView? ITK also
> compiles fine without any errors for me if I use BUILD_SHARED_LIBS OFF,
> however the problems then arise when compiling the plugin.
> If You like, You can test the compilation of the plugin with the code from
> the git repository:
> https://github.com/romangrothausmann/FacetAnalyser

Looks like a great project!

I was using BUILD_SHARED_LIBS for both.  What issue were you seeing?

Again, I think the best approach is to build VTK separately, then
build both ParaView and ITK against that version.

HTH,