[ITK-users] ImportError: No module named _SimpleITK

David Welch david.m.welch at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 14:55:18 EDT 2015

Hi Brad,

I've built a virtualenv using virtualenvwrapper to use SimpleITK (built
using NAMICExternalProjects).  For reproducibility, we'd like to use only
dependencies within the ${NAMICExtBuild} directory, which makes most of the
online installation instructions invalid, AFAIK.

I've prepend the sys.path like so:

add2virtualenv ${NAMICExtBuild}/SimpleITK-build/bin
add2virtualenv ${NAMICExtBuild}/SimpleITK-build/lib
add2virtualenv ${NAMICExtBuild}/SimpleITK-build/Wrapping

This writes to the
$VIRTUAL_ENV/lib/site_packages/_virtualenv_path_extensions.pth file (used
by virtualenvwrapper to manage package/module paths).

I have also tried:

python ${NAMICExtBuild}/SimpleITK-build/Wrapping/PythonPackage/setupegg.py
install

within my virtualenv, but no such luck.  Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Dave