[ITK-users] [ITK] ImportError: No module named _SimpleITK

Bradley Lowekamp blowekamp at mail.nih.gov
Mon Jul 13 15:38:27 EDT 2015

Hello David,

I am going to guess that you compiled ITK with shared libraries?

Most likely python couldn't resolve the ITK library dependencies when it tried to load _SimpleITK.so.

Try adding the ITK library directory to you LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable.

I am also going to guess that you are relying on CMake setting the RPATH for the libraries based on the build directory for you other projects. SimpleITK explicitly disables this [1], to enable language based packaging from the build tree without using CMake to modify the RPATH. Your case may be a reasonable option to allow the user to configure a default for SKIP_BUILD_RPATH for SimpleITK, but I am not completely sure of the expected and reasonable behavior for this. Nor if anyone else would know how to do it.

HTH,
Brad

[1] https://github.com/SimpleITK/SimpleITK/blob/master/Code/BasicFilters/src/CMakeLists.txt#L109