[ITK-users] Using ITK with OpenSlide

siavashk siavashk at ece.ubc.ca
Fri Jun 26 13:14:00 EDT 2015

Hello,

I am trying to use ITK with OpenSlide and it seems that there is an external
module for this. I followed the instructions that you had on
https://github.com/InsightSoftwareConsortium/ITKOpenSlideIO to try to
compile OpenSlide with ITK.

I am running the latest stable clone ITK (4.7.1), Windows 8.1 (64-bit) and
compiling in VS 12.0, 2013. I used the OpenSlide 64-bit binaries from
http://openslide.org/download/ (2015-04-20  release).

There was a configuration error in the CMake, so I changed the dependency in
itk-module.cmake from itkIOBase to ITKIOImageBase. I am guessing I had to
this is because of migration to ITK-v4.

Next, I built ITK with the external module enabled. Everything compiled
fine, or so I think. Afterwards, I wrote a small test program to see if I
can read the pathology images in your input folder with ITKOpenSlide (I have
attached the source code and the data). However, ITK throws the following
exception when I try to read images:

itk::ExceptionObject (00000000016B0B2EF30)
Location: "unsigned int __cdecl itk::ImageIOBase::GetComponentSize(void)
const"
File: C:\Users\siavash\devel\ITK\Modules\IO\ImageBase\src\itkImageIOBase.cxx
Line:367
component type: 0

If there is an easy fix for this, I would appreciate if anyone could help
me. Otherwise, I would appreciate it if people would give me some hints as
how to write the reader from scratch. I have an approximate knowledge of how
factories work and how they are registered in ITK, but I have never written
a reader from scratch.

Thank you,

Siavash

CMakeLists.txt <http://itk-users.7.n7.nabble.com/file/n35834/CMakeLists.txt>