[ITK-users] Demons Registration on a Region of Interest

Loic Le Folgoc loic.itk at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 09:02:23 EST 2015

 From the previous mails I'd assume you tried this as a starting point
but just in case: you did try to pass a smaller region as requested
region for the output
(filter->GetOutput()->SetRequestedRegion(my_region) before calling
filter->Update()), didn't you? From a quick glance at the cascade of
filters which the DemonsImageFilter inherits from, it's not obvious that
the filter does not respect the requested region set by the user for the
output.

Otherwise, assuming your images are already affinely registered, it
should be fairly safe to only run the algorithm on cropped images as
suggested, yes, especially if you expect the motion at the boundary of
your smaller domain to be roughly null.

Another silly question/comment in case none of the above helps, and
before you decide to invest time adapting the code: is the runtime of
the demons algorithm an annoying bottleneck to you? I'd imagine it's one
of the fastest algorithms out there. If it's fast enough, maybe you can
just run it on the full images regardless.