[ITK-users] emscripten itkImageReader

Juan Carlos Prieto juanprietob at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 20:55:13 EST 2015

Dear all,

I have started using emscripten to develop a plugin to read medical images
in the browser.

I have a compiled version of my code that works in Node.js.
I am able to read an image, manipulate the data and write the image.

However, whenever I tried to execute the same code in the browser, the
itk::ImageReader seems to be creating a reader for PNG only.

This is an example code that I am execuitng:

var itkImageJS = new module.itkImageJS();
console.log("Installing file: ");
var input_filepath = '/raw/test.nii.gz';
FS.writeFile(input_filepath, imagedata, { encoding: 'binary' });

var stat = FS.stat(input_filepath);//The file exists!

itkImageJS.ReadImage(input_filepath);

And this is the output from the exception:

itk::ExceptionObject (0x6a5710)
testFS.js:1 Location: "unknown"
testFS.js:1 File: .../ITK/Modules/IO/PNG/src/itkPNGImageIO.cxx
testFS.js:1 Line: 107
testFS.js:1 Description: itk::ERROR: PNGImageIO(0x975628): PNGImageIO
failed to read header for file:
testFS.js:1 Reason: fread read only 0 instead of 8

Instead of creating the reader for a Nifti image, the reader is for PNG
image.

Is it possible to read other type of files in the browser?
Do I have to read the data server side and stream it to the client?

Any comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Juan