[ITK-users] [ITK] Merging segmentation masks in different region of interests

Bradley Lowekamp brad at lowekamp.net
Tue Jan 26 09:33:32 EST 2016

Hello,

In general You can not efficiently iterate on pixel on an Image in Python or another scripting language. There are however filters which can  efficiently accomplish similar things.

You should look into the ResampleImageFilter[1], and the PasteImageFilter[2].

The most logical way to is to use the ResampleImageFilters’s SetReferenceImage parameter. Use an image to represent the domain of the composite images you have ( or the original image). Then resample each segmentation on the reference image. Then you can use the AndImageFilter or overloaded operators to compose the images together.

It’s also possible to convert your segmented images into LabelMaps, so that they are represented  as run-length-encoded elements. This can be more efficient for some operations, but it’s a bit more tricky.

HTH,
Brad

[1] http://www.itk.org/SimpleITKDoxygen/html/classitk_1_1simple_1_1ResampleImageFilter.html
[2] http://www.itk.org/SimpleITKDoxygen/html/classitk_1_1simple_1_1PasteImageFilter.html