[ITK-users] LabelStatisticsImageFilter in 3D

Yaniv, Ziv Rafael (NIH/NLM/LHC) [C] zivrafael.yaniv at nih.gov
Tue Jul 5 10:43:57 EDT 2016

Hi Mathew,

As I haven¹t seen your code I cannot pinpoint the issue, but it is not the
dimension of the image.

The following SimpleITK code does what I believe you are asking for (image
is available here - https://midas3.kitware.com/midas/item/317034):

import SimpleITK as sitk

image = sitk.ReadImage("training_001_ct.mha")

# HU values for bone are 700 and up
segmented_image = image>700

# segmented label for the threshold operation is 1 (0 for everything else).
# the LabelIntensityStatisticsImageFilter also works with multiple labels
and not just a binary segmentation.
segmented_label = 1

lisf = sitk.LabelIntensityStatisticsImageFilter()
lisf.Execute(segmented_image, image)

print("mean HU value: {0:.2f}".format(lisf.GetMean(segmented_label)))

     hope this helped

             Ziv