[ITK-users] In-place extraction of N-1 dimensional images from N dimensional images

Edwin Bennink hebennink at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 04:37:35 EDT 2016

Hello,

I am working on an ITK/VTK viewer for visualizing 3D+time image data. The
data is represented by 4D images in ITK (x,y,z,t). I would like to be able
to access the 3D data in VTK without copying it, since that would slow down
scrolling through time in large datasets. I noticed that, although in-place
extraction should be possible, the ExtractImageFilter 'says no' to in-place
extraction when the input and output dimensions differ. Does anyone know a
way to achieve my goal using existing ITK functions? For example, if there
would be some way of reducing the dimension of 'flat' images, i.e. 3D
(Nx,Ny,1) to 2D (Nx, Ny), then I could still use the ExtractImageFilter.

Best,
Edwin