[ITK-users] Convert ITK image to cv::Mat image

Tammy Diprima tammy.diprima at stonybrook.edu
Mon Sep 5 13:31:58 EDT 2016

Greetings!  Hope everyone is having a good day...

So... we are passing around a grayscale image... and we're using unsigned
in (as opposed to unsigned char):
typedef itk::Image<unsigned int, ImageDimension> itkUIntImageType;
typedef itkUIntImageType itkLabelImageType;

I need to convert it to cv::Mat in order to pass it to another program:
cv::Mat resultImage = itk::OpenCVImageBridge::ITKImageToCVMat<
itkLabelImageType >( m_objectLabelImage );

The problem is, the compiler is telling me "OpenCV does not support the
input pixel type".

So my question is -- is this true?  Can I only convert from unsigned char?
Would a good solution be to:
A) Convert from one pixel type to another, or
B) Or can I just read in the m_objectLabelImage to an Image::Pointer thing
that is of type unsigned char?

Thanks!