[ITK-users] itk mhd header

Francois Budin francois.budin at kitware.com
Thu Sep 15 08:52:10 EDT 2016

Hello Swetha,

The easiest way to load an mhd file is to use itkImageFileReader [1]. The
ITK Software Guide (pdf) [2]
has great examples on how to read an image in section "4.1.2 Reading an
Image from a File". This will make is much simplier to actually read the
image without having to worry about the format and the tags (ITK supports a
wide variety of formats including Meta images such as mhd and mha files).
To display the image, you will need to read:
* the size: image->GetLargestPossibleRegion().GetSize()
* the spacing: image->GetSpacing()
* the direction matrix: image->GetDirection()
* the origin: image->GetOrigin()

If you want to read the mhd file manually, it will be more complicated, but
you can look at [3].

In the case of your specific header, it seems to me that you have extra
tags that are coming from the conversion of a NIFTI image into your mhd
file (basically all the tags that start with a lower case), which makes
your header harder to read, although this will not be a problem to read
this image with ITK.

Hope this helps,

Francois

[1] https://itk.org/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1ImageFileReader.html