[ITK-users] Speed Issue

Matt McCormick matt.mccormick at kitware.com
Sun Apr 9 18:19:37 EDT 2017

Hi Xiaopeng,

> I found that ITK (such as fast-marching level-set, threshold-based level-set, and region growing) does not use all CPU cores during computation.
>
> My questions include:
> 1. Does ITK support full CPU cores computation?

In general, most algorithm implementations are multi-threaded and
intended to use all CPU cores. There may be some implementations that
should be multi-threaded or there may be some implementations that
could be improved in their thread utilization.

> 2. Did anyone try to speed up ITK? If so, What is the best and fast way to speed up ITK? And how much faster than before can I achieve?

There are ongoing efforts to improve performance - your participation
is welcome.  See:

  http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/insight-developers/2017-April/025151.html

Thanks,
Matt