[ITK-users] Speed Issue

Lowekamp, Bradley (NIH/NLM/LHC) [C] blowekamp at mail.nih.gov
Mon Apr 10 08:36:47 EDT 2017

Hello,

Regarding single threaded region growing, the nature of regions growing with a breadth first algorithm is inherently single threaded. However, the equivalent results can be obtained by doing a global threshold, followed by connect components analysis. Both of those algorithms are efficiently multi-threaded. Depending on the size of the image, shape of region, and other factors, one approach may be more efficient than the other.

HTH,
Brad