[ITK-users] Forums suck, long live email, was Re: ResampleDICOM example and DCMTK

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Wed Feb 14 17:14:01 EST 2018

On Thu, 8 Feb 2018 10:47:55 -0500, Matt McCormick said:

>Thanks for chiming in. Don't worry, email lives on :-).
>
>Instructions on how to use Discourse as a mailing list can be found here:

Alas, in my opinion anyway, using Discourse as a mailing list is a very subpar experience.

- it changes the 'from' address, making off-list replies impossible
- replying to the 'from' address bounces, making 'reply all' broken
- there's no 'List-Post' header, so it's hard to start new threads
- it sends html email
- the text-only part of the email renders quotations poorly
- quoted text in replies get removed, making inline replies impossible/broken
- it does something weird with emoji characters, changing them to strings like ":ok_hand:"
- it discards email signatures

Cheers,

Sean