[ITK-users] [ITK] Forums suck, long live email, was Re: ResampleDICOM example and DCMTK

Matt McCormick matt.mccormick at kitware.com
Wed Feb 14 18:48:26 EST 2018

On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 5:47 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 10:14 PM, Sean McBride <sean at rogue-research.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 8 Feb 2018 10:47:55 -0500, Matt McCormick said:
>>
>>>Thanks for chiming in. Don't worry, email lives on :-).
>>>
>>>Instructions on how to use Discourse as a mailing list can be found here:

>> Alas, in my opinion anyway, using Discourse as a mailing list is a very subpar experience.

These statements are very deceiving.

>> - it changes the 'from' address, making off-list replies impossible

This means it does not expose your email address to all the spammers
on the internets!

>> - replying to the 'from' address bounces, making 'reply all' broken

Use "reply" instead of "reply all".

>> - there's no 'List-Post' header, so it's hard to start new threads

See the link above on how to start a new thread.

>> - it sends html email

Yes, this is too bad. However, HTML email is simply a standard today
in all kinds of communication.

>> - the text-only part of the email renders quotations poorly

I am not sure how bad this is relative having content only limited to
plain text. In imaging, it is helpful to be able to share images.

>> - quoted text in replies get removed, making inline replies impossible/broken

It is still possible to quote replies.

>> - it does something weird with emoji characters, changing them to strings like ":ok_hand:"

Is this bad?

>> - it discards email signatures

This is a feature.

2 cents,