[IGSTK-Developers] My comments on the SPIE paper

David Gobbi dgobbi at atamai.com
Fri Feb 3 15:32:42 EST 2006

I read through Kevin Gary's version.  It's looking good.  I have the
following comments.

In Methods section:

- in "methods" at the end of the first paragraph IGSTK is misspelled

- 3) should be re-worded:  "IGSTK does not directly expose ITK and VTK
objects APIs to the application developer.  Instead, the ITK and VTK
objects are tightly encapsulated by IGSTK objects that provide a minimal
but sufficient API for application development.  This ensures that any
APIs used by developers have been specifically tested for image guidance
applications.

- 4) should be re-worded: "IGSTK does not utilize dynamic object
typing.  When IGSTK objects are created they must be declared with full
specialization, and all type checking is performed at compile time and
never at run time. This reduces the number of software parameters that
can be adjusted at run-time, and hence reduces the possibility that the
software will be running in an untested configuration.

- 5) should be re-worded: IGSTK uses events to communicated between
components, where the events are produced by the state machine of one
object and received as inputs to the state machine of one (or more)
other objects.  The mapping of events to state machine inputs is
explitely defined and deterministic.