[IGSTK-Developers] IGSTK student project

Kevin Cleary cleary at isis.georgetown.edu
Sat Dec 22 08:37:18 EST 2007

Hi all:

Excellent work all around! I think this shows the value of the toolkit in
the educational setting and I may want to feature this at an IGSTK demo we
will do on Sunday Feb 17 at the SPIE Medical Imaging Meeting in San Diego. I
am the IGSTK project principal investigator and I enjoyed the video very
much as it shows the concepts of image-guided surgery well.

I agree with Luis that it would be great to contribute the code to the
library. While the microscribe device is not used in clinical practice
anymore (it is too cumbersome and has been largely replaced by optical and
electromagnetic tracking) it it still an excellent device for demonstration
and laboratory purposes. So there is certainly a strong possibility that
others may want to build a system with the microscribe device in the future.

I do have one question for Luis: how will our current refactoring of the
toolkit affect this code? Will they have to update the code to work with the
latest version of IGSTK? Or will we potentially have demos that are
dependent on using a certain version of IGSTK?

Happy Holidays to All.

Kevin Cleary

Kevin Cleary, Ph.D.                       Work phone: 202-687-8253
Associate Professor                       Work fax: 202-784-3479
Deputy Director
Imaging Science and Information Systems (ISIS) Center
Department of Radiology                   Pager: 202-901-2033
Georgetown University Medical Center      Cell phone: 202-294-3409
2115 Wisconsin Avenue, Suite 603          Home phone: 301-299-0788
Washington, DC, 20007                     Home fax: 301-299-0789

ISIS center: www.isis.georgetown.edu
Research group: www.caimr.georgetown.edu
WashCAS: www.washcas.org
Email: cleary at georgetown.edu