[Insight-developers] how can I verify that my code runs on several processors ?

Kent Williams norman-k-williams at uiowa.edu
Mon Nov 28 10:24:52 EST 2005

I don't know what processors your server contains, but it's not always
the case that multithreading increases performance.  Intel HT processors
in particular have problems with too many shared resources between the
computation units.  The following article indicates that SQL Server and
Citrix Terminal Server both perform better with hyperthreading disabled.

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/0,39020330,39237341,00.htm

I don't know how you can verify that your threads are being spread
across different processors on your server -- perhaps someone else here
does.   ITK's threading model generally works very well, but there may
be cases where it does not.  For some cases -- particularly short,
simple ITK pipelines -- threading has minimal positive, and possibly
negative impact on performance.