[Insight-developers] Visual Studio 6.0

Bill Lorensen bill.lorensen at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 16:09:47 EST 2007

Gaetan,

Why drop it?  Is there something we cannot do now that is a required
enhancement to ITK? Granted, it is a bad compiler, but so far, we have been
able to work around its weaknesses.

I'm concerned that there may be customers out there that still depend on it.
Backporting to a VS6 branch is not a practical solution. I'm afraid that
this would be a bad precedent.

What compiler is next? Maybe Boralnd. It's a pain. How about the SGI
compilers? We have some tests that alsways seem to fail for SGI's. Does
anyone use SGI's anymore? SUNPro? Can't be many people interested in that
one. It's warnings are hard to suppress.

At a minimum, we should ask the ITK community about it. Maybe no one is
using VS6 with recent versions of ITK. Of course, how do we contact everyone
that uses ITK. It's open...

Regards,

Bill