[Insight-developers] Visual Studio 6.0

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 09:50:31 EST 2007

On Dec 10, 2007 11:35 PM, Bill Lorensen <bill.lorensen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Stephen,
>
> The operative word is "nearly".
>
> Maybe we should consider dropping cygwin. 18 failing tests...
>
> Seriously, we should revisit our "policy". Recall that I wrote a proposal a
> couple of years back:
> http://www.insightsoftwareconsortium.org/wiki/index.php/Administration-BackwardCompatibility
>
> The document is here:
> http://www.insightsoftwareconsortium.org/wiki/images/4/46/APIChangePolicy.pdf
>
> As CTO of the Insight Software Consortium, I am willing to revive this issue
> over the winter.

I did sent the very same question to the boost mailing list: what is
the actual cost of supporting buggy compiler ? Here are some answers
from the dev team

http://groups.google.com/group/boost-list/browse_thread/thread/60db4e9cb8f2c933

Apparently some part of Boost will never get supported for VS6. So the
question is: when is the time to drop support for a particular
compiler that's holding us back, even if this means breaking the
backward compatibility policy.

And it would be even better to start thinking : when is it time to
start supporting C++0x (Variadic Templates, Concepts...), well I guess
I am just dreaming here :)

2 cents,
--
Mathieu