[Insight-developers] Visual Studio 6.0

Stephen R. Aylward Stephen.Aylward at Kitware.com
Mon Dec 10 17:17:10 EST 2007

Hi,

Ya'll know that I am nearly as passionate about backward compatibility as
Bill.  However, I do believe that we need to occasionally allow the toolkit
to undergo a "jump."

I AM NOT SUGGESTING THAT NOW IS THE TIME FOR SUCH A JUMP OR EXPRESSING ANY
OPINION REGARDING VS6; however, the backward compatibility policy of the ISC
includes the following terms:

"Across major versions (e.g. from Version 1.x to 2.0), the APIs of the
toolkit may change if it is in the best interest of the toolkit so as to
provide effective implementations of the methods and features that are being
sought by its users. Every API change will be well documented, and every
effort will be made to provide scripts to facilitate the update user
software that is affected by the API change."
 --
http://insightsoftwareconsortium.org/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pi
d=7

I STRONGLY think that MOST major revisions should not break backward
compatibility.   Just know that if the need TRULY arises, then there is a
mechanism.

Stephen

Stephen R. Aylward, Ph.D.
Chief Medical Scientist