[Insight-developers] ITKData and branches

Gaëtan Lehmann gaetan.lehmann at jouy.inra.fr
Sat Oct 16 15:53:34 EDT 2010

Le 16 oct. 10 à 20:40, Marcus D. Hanwell a écrit :

> On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 1:57 PM, Bill Lorensen <bill.lorensen at gmail.com
> > wrote:
> Data includes baselines for testing. We should make it as easy as
> possible to add new baselines, thus promoting more testing. Our old
> method was good.
>
> Perhaps, the baselines should be part of ITK proper. Currently
> baselines represent 16 meg out of the 73 meg in data.
>
> I honestly think that the solution in place is ideal, and would love
> to have ParaView and VTK use this approach. Keeping the binary data
> in a separate git submodule that is pinned by the submodule pointer
> gives you the best of both worlds. Is there some part of the process
> that is particularly unwieldy? You need to add, commit and push in
> the submodule, and then the extra step is simply moving the pointer
> forward in the ITK repository.

I can see some disadvantages:

* Compared to what we had before with cvs, this is a lot more commands
to run.
Previously we had

   cvs add Testing/Code/...
   cvs add Testing/Data/...
   cvs ci

and now

   cd Testing/Data
   git add ...
   git commit
   git push
   cd -
   git add Testing/Data
   git add Testing/Code/...
   git commit
   git push

* A submodule for the baseline means that
   - we have to push the baseline in ITKData but the related patch may
not survive the reviewing process and so we'll have useless baseline
stored in ITKData.
   - or we don't publish the baseline when publishing a test in gerrit

* Not everyone have write access to ITKData and this repository is not
cloned on github or gitorious, so preparing and publishing some tests
for a non itk developer is less easy.

It's easy to see the immediate problems, but I fail to see the long
term advantage of this solution, excepted the repository size.
I quite sure it has been done that way for a good reason :-)

> The submodule commands are under active development, and are
> improving with each release at the moment.

Great. I think the aliases recently submitted are making things a lot
easier.
I hope we'll see the same kind of improvement for ITKData!

Gaëtan