[Insight-developers] ITKData and branches

Gaëtan Lehmann gaetan.lehmann at jouy.inra.fr
Mon Oct 18 13:27:05 EDT 2010

Le 16 oct. 10 à 21:53, Gaëtan Lehmann a écrit :

> Le 16 oct. 10 à 20:40, Marcus D. Hanwell a écrit :
>
>> On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 1:57 PM, Bill Lorensen <bill.lorensen at gmail.com
>> > wrote:
>> Data includes baselines for testing. We should make it as easy as
>> possible to add new baselines, thus promoting more testing. Our old
>> method was good.
>>
>> Perhaps, the baselines should be part of ITK proper. Currently
>> baselines represent 16 meg out of the 73 meg in data.
>>
>> I honestly think that the solution in place is ideal, and would
>> love to have ParaView and VTK use this approach. Keeping the binary
>> data in a separate git submodule that is pinned by the submodule
>> pointer gives you the best of both worlds. Is there some part of
>> the process that is particularly unwieldy? You need to add, commit
>> and push in the submodule, and then the extra step is simply moving
>> the pointer forward in the ITK repository.
>>

> I can see some disadvantages:
>
> * Compared to what we had before with cvs, this is a lot more
> commands to run.
> Previously we had
>
>  cvs add Testing/Code/...
>  cvs add Testing/Data/...
>  cvs ci
>
> and now
>
>  cd Testing/Data
>  git add ...
>  git commit
>  git push
>  cd -
>  git add Testing/Data
>  git add Testing/Code/...
>  git commit

I forgot at step there: copying and pasting something like

   git config "hooks.Testing/Data.update" 085e657..9dc1292

An interactive check instead would be great - I'll try to propose a
patch.

>  git push
>
> * A submodule for the baseline means that
>  - we have to push the baseline in ITKData but the related patch may
> not survive the reviewing process and so we'll have useless baseline
> stored in ITKData.
>  - or we don't publish the baseline when publishing a test in gerrit
>
> * Not everyone have write access to ITKData and this repository is
> not cloned on github or gitorious, so preparing and publishing some
> tests for a non itk developer is less easy.
>
> It's easy to see the immediate problems, but I fail to see the long
> term advantage of this solution, excepted the repository size.
> I quite sure it has been done that way for a good reason :-)

but I still can't see what it is. Is there a reference on the version
system choices somewhere?

Thanks,

Gaëtan