[Insight-developers] ITKv4 Modularization Plan

Xiaoxiao Liu xiaoxiao.liu at kitware.com
Mon Feb 7 15:51:14 EST 2011

Dear All,

During the ITKv4 Boston meeting, we presented the modularization progress
and planned to push the modularized ITK into the main ITK git repository on
Feb, 28th.   To make this transition easier for all of us, please let us
know if you have any suggested improvements as soon as possible. We would
like to get more feedback especially on the granularity of the segmentation
of the modules and the naming of the modules, since it will be harder to
move things around once everyone starts to contribute to
the modularized ITK.

So far we have created 90 modules out of the monolithic ITK (not including
Examples and Reviews). Among the 90 modules, there are 14 utility modules
(such as  itk-tiff and itk-xml) ,  and  21 I/O modules (such as
itk-io-tiff).  The   Manifest (located ITK/Modularization/Manifest.txt)  lists
2352 source code files and their  locations in the modularized ITK.  Here is
a spreadsheet version of the Manifest for your convinence to explore:
<goog_624914333>
Manifest.xlsx <http://www.itk.org/Wiki/images/b/bf/Manifest.xlsx>.  You can
also get a copy of a modularized ITK (produced at Feb. 2nd) from
 http://itk.org/gitweb?p=tmp/modularITK.git<http://itk.org/gitweb?p=tmp/modularITK.git>
investigate.

The current modularization process involves manually editing the Manifest
file, adding tests for each module and running dashboards
for modularized ITK every day.  This process is done for the majority of ITK
now and will be done for the entire toolkit by Feb 28th. Moreover, this
process will continue to be carried out for any new contributions into
ITKv4. Therefore, it will be extremely helpful for developers to
get familiar with the new lay-out of the toolkit and get ready for the
changes.

We are working on detailed documentations to help both developers and users
to adapt to the modularized version of ITK. More details about the
modularization can be found at this wiki page:
http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK_Release_4/Modularization.

Thank you for your attention!

- Best,

  Modularization Team  (Luis, Bill, Brad, Xiaoxiao)

*Xiaoxiao Liu*, Ph.D.
R & D Engineer
Kitware Inc <http://www.kitware.com/>.
Clifton Park, NY
Phone: (518) 881-4924  or  (518) 371-3971 x124