[Insight-developers] nrrd assumptions and signed overflow

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Mon Nov 28 17:13:14 EST 2011

On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 16:39:15 +0000, Williams, Norman K said:

>I'd vote for a patch to NRRD in ITK that removes the code that
>intentionally overflows.

From the teem list:

--------
I've committed a fix, and thanks again for finding the problem.  Please forward this to the ITK-dev list.

At this point, the info at <http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/Proposals:Updating_Nrrd_library_2009> is correct as far as the Teem/NrrdIO stuff is concerned (with one minor exception**), and what remains is to update the NrrdIO in ITK from a freshly generated NrrdIO.  Now that ITK has a different process for version control and code contribution, I think the CVS-related info is out-of-date.

The **minor exception is that step 14 in Code Generation:
files are ready to copy to ITK, except privateNrrd.h, where one must replace #include <zlib.h> by #include "itk_zlib.h"
is no longer needed; this is now automatically done by the NrrdIO generation makefile.
--------

Also, I tried myself commenting out the deliberate overflow and it solved all the test failures.

Cheers,

Sean