[Insight-users] Re: question: ITK Examples

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez@kitware.com
Sat, 23 Mar 2002 08:58:45 -0500

Hi fj,

It is Ok to install vtk40core.exe and
vtk40cpp.exe in a different path.

If you install vtk40cpp you don't need
vtk40core.exe at all. ( I would remove
vtk40core in order to avoid confusions).

vtk40Cpp.exe contains all what you need:

1) a lib/vtk directory with all the libraries
as static libraries.

2) an include/vtk directory with all the
headers.

vtk40Core.exe is intended for applications
that link dynamically with VTK but not for
code development. Let's say that you write
your killer application using VTK, when
you build it you can link dynamically with
VTK dll's; So when you ship your application
to a client, the VTK dll's can be appart from
your application. That prevents you from
producing huge .exe files in which a large
percent of the code are the VTK libs themselves.

All that makes more sense when you produce
your secons killer application :-) because this
second one can just "share" the dlls (that's what
shared libraries are for, after all...) So you
factorize the VTK code from the applications
that use it.

----
(comming back to ITK....)

When you install vkt40Cpp.exe it asks you for a
particular directory where you want to have the
/lib/vtk and include/vtk subdirectories. This
same directory is the one that you should pass to
CMake as :

VTK_INSTALLED_PATH

then put

USE_INSTALLED_VTK to "ON"

That should do it !

Please let us know if that works for you.

You're very close now, don't give up !! :-)

Luis