[Insight-users] compilation performance

Marc Niethammer marcn@ece.gatech.edu
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 18:02:46 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody has experience in reducing compilation time,
when compiling itk projects. In my case (gcc 2.95.2, sun ultra 60) it
takes a considerable amount of time (in the order of minutes) to compile
even very small programs.

I suspect that the reason for this is how gcc handles the templated code.
Is there a way to increase compilation performance (by setting a couple of
command line switches). What about gcc 3? I read that precompiled headers
make a difference for compiling templated code ... how big of a difference
is this?

Thanks for any help.

Marc