[Insight-users] vtk -> itk -> (itk process) -> itk -> vtk

John David Fleig fleig@bmi.osu.edu
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 10:06:17 -0500 (EST)

The main issue of my earlier questions about getting an image into itk
from vtk is a little more complicated than just reading an image from a
file directly into itk.

In general the images will be coming from someplace and of varying
types. They may be read in through the vtk layer, or through some other
mechanism and given to me in a raw memory buffer or stream. The trick is
that I will have distributed processes to handle the entire vtk/itk
processing and need some way to read in potentially mulidimensional color
images into itk.

Per prior discussions I've already learned that the vtk/itk
imports/exports do not support color images. Therefore I have two
questions:

1) In vtk I can break apart the rgb image into each component (as well as
combine them back together again). Is there something similiar in itk, so
that I could convert each one over to itk separately and then combine
them? (and then break them up again to go backward)

2) Can I use something like ImportImageFilter and hand off a memory buffer
and tell it, hey expect to see 3 component data?

David