[Insight-users] hlep!!1 Installation

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez@kitware.com
Tue, 04 Mar 2003 10:01:34 -0500

Hi Zhao,

1) CMake is a configuration tool.
   Its purpose is to generate VisualStudio
   projects and/or Unix Makefiles from platform
   independent files called CMakeLists.txt files.

   You use CMake to create a project where all
   the locations of headers and libraries have
   been defined consistently.

   So, you may want to use CMake, no matter what
   compiler you are using.

2) The simplest example of displaying an ITK image
   is available in:

   InsightApplications/MetaImageViewer

2.5) Instructions about how to start your first project
     with Visual Studio are available in

        Insight/Documentation/InsightStart.pdf

     and in the SoftwareGuide.pdf

        http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

3) Well,
   I will not dare to say that the following
   combination is 'optimal', but at least it is a
   good one that is used by many people in the
   medical image community:

   - ITK 1.2     for Segmentation and Registration
   - VTK 4.2     for Visualization
   - FLTK 1.1.3  for GUI

   You can also consider Qt fo GUI, it has a better look
   than FLTK but it is much heavier and has a steeper
   learning curve.

   For the compiler, here are the options for Windows
   in order of preference:

   - Visual Studio 7
   - Visual Studio 6 (that you cannot buy anymore...)
   - Intel Compiler
   - Borland (free but not very supportive of
              Generic Programming..)

---------