[Insight-users] Re: question: Converting DICOM images to VTK via MetaImage

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez@kitware.com
Mon, 24 Mar 2003 06:33:54 -0500

Hi Zhuo,

The steps to follow are:

1) Create the MetaImageHeader using
   the program "MetaImageImporter" available
   in "InsightApplications/MetaImageImport".
   Put the resulting header in the same
   directory where you have the DICOM files.

2) Use the program "ImageReadWrite" available
   in "Insight/Examples/IO".

   NOTE: The MetaImageReadWrite in
   InsightApplication is NOT the program you
   can use to convert MetaImages into VTK.

   Please use the program

         ImageReadWrite.cxx
   or    ImageReadWrite.cxx  if your data is 8 bits.

   in

          Insight/Examples/IO

3) The command line to use will be something
   like

   ImageReadWrite  myImage.mhd   myImage.vtk

   NOTE: the extensions are EXTREMELY important,
   ITK will select the fileformat to write based
   only in the extension you provide.

4) The resulting VTK file will be a single file.
   It will contain a small header followed by
   the binary data.

   Detailed information about VTK file formats
   is available in
   http://www.vtk.org/pdf/file-formats.pdf

5) Please,
   Don't use Photoshop for medical images  :-)