[Insight-users] Geospatial registration

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed Oct 27 13:20:39 EDT 2004

Hi Garrett,

Yes, using a custom interpolator is the way to go.
You can create your own interpolator and simply plug it in the
registration methods.

You probably don't want to use the Conjugate Gradient methods
unless you can verify that your metric is extremely smooth and
monotonic.  Unfortunately, most image metrics tend to be noisy
and that precludes the use of optimizers that are based on
second order derivatives, like the Conjugate Gradient.

Are you registering two images that cover a similar extent ?
Like two images of the same geographical region but taken at
different channels ?
or are you using the registration in order to compose a mosaic
out of images that have a small overlap.

Satellite imagery and Microscopy share a number of similar
needs related to the composition of mosaics from images of
limited field of view.

You may want to look closer at the size and location of the
image regions that you want to be taken into account while
the image metric is computed.  In particular that will
affect your selection of the FixedImageRegion() and eventually
the use of an Image Mask.